This section offers information including:
- About Porcelain Veneers
- Who are the right candidates for this Treatment and who are not.
- Longevity - How long do dental veneers last?
Porcelain Veneer Melbourne| What you need to know
These are also called "porcelain laminates," "porcelain laminate veneers," and just "veneers".For our purposes, we will just call them veneers. Veneers are formed porcelain shells that are used to create a new front surface to a tooth. These are thin sculpted pieces of tooth-shaped porcelain that fit over the front of the teeth and are the premier standard of care in cosmetic dentistry.
Permanently bonded to the front surface of a tooth, to restore or improve position, shape and tooth color, they can make a dramatic, immediate difference to one's smile and overall facial appearance. Veneers are wonderful for fixing common problems such as midline spaces (the gap-toothed look of the two front upper teeth) or chipped, crooked, missing teeth,discolored, pitted, malformed or improperly positioned teeth. They can be custom-designed to fit your face, smile, gender and personality.Porcelain veneers can cover many imperfections in the teeth by bonding a thin shell directly to the tooth enamel.If you have severely discolored teeth that do not respond to tooth whitening methods, veneers can brighten your teeth.
Although porcelain veneers are thin, they are extremely durable and stain-resistant. They come in different shades of white so you can select the color you prefer best. We will help you choose a natural-looking color, prep your teeth and then fit the porcelain veneers to your enamel. Once they are bonded to the teeth, they will blend in seamlessly without any telltale signs that you have had any dental work done. People will only see your beautiful smile.
1. If you have unhealthy teeth.
Porcelain veneers cannot be placed on teeth where there is
decay or active periodontal disease (gum disease). These
conditions must be treated before porcelain veneers can be
successfully fabricated and placed.
2. If you have weakened teeth. If a significant amount of tooth structure has been lost as a result of decay or fracture, or else already replaced by a dental filling, the tooth may not be a good candidate for a porcelain veneer. Porcelain veneers do not significantly strengthen the teeth on which they are placed. Teeth that have had a history of significant tooth loss structure are usually better off being treated by the placement of a dental crown, and not a porcelain veneer.
3. If you have an inadequate amount of enamel on the tooth. A porcelain veneer can only be successfully bonded onto tooth enamel. Some teeth, as a result of excessive wear or previous attempts at dental bonding, may have little or no enamel remaining on their frontside. These teeth do not make good candidates for porcelain veneers.
4. If you clench or grind your teeth. Persons who clench and grind their teeth can make poor candidates for porcelain veneers. The forces created by these activities, termed bruxism by dentists, can easily chip or break porcelain veneers. Possibly a person can successfully control their bruxing habits during their waking hours, but during sleep a bruxer has essentially no control over this activity. If a person who bruxes does have veneers placed, they must be committed to wearing a plastic dental night guard when they sleep so as to minimize the amount of stress placed on their veneers.
There are no hard and fast rules about how long porcelain veneers will last. While you can certainly expect your veneers to last many years (some patients have had them for 20 or more years), it is unrealistic to expect them to last forever. With good home care and by exercising good judgment, it seems likely that a porcelain veneer could last well in excess of 10 to 15 years. Ask about our 3-year limited warranty. To make your veneers last longer it is important to follow a good oral hygiene program and also visit your dentist for check ups on a regular basis.
If you are interested in learning more about porcelain veneers you can read more info on the link provided below or you can schedule for a FREE cosmetic consultation, by calling our office at (613) 9629-7664. For your convenience, you may also fill out our online contact form
Schedule a FREE Cosmetic Dentistry Consultation
TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT "PORCELAIN VENEERS IN MELBOURNE